Wednesday, 12 October 2011

Maxed Out on Friends?

Image source
I’ve been comparing kindergarten experiences for my eldest son and my daughter over the past six months or so now.

(Note to non-Aussie readers: “kindergarten” refers to part-time schooling for kids who turn 4 before the middle of the school year.  Both of my children started at the beginning of our school year in February, but my son was age 3 years 9 months, while my daughter was age 4 years 3 months. I think the equivalent US term might be “preschool”, but I’m not sure, so I’ll stick with kindergarten.)

One of the many, many differences in these experiences has been my own friendships with the parents. 

When my son started, I was open to meeting the other parents, and quickly discovered that I had a lot in common with many of them. We socialised with kids and without them, and I still count this group as my friends.

When my daughter started, I already had a group of friends at school, and I was familiar with the kindy routines and expectations. I have found myself being friendly with the other parents, and socialising at playdates and parties, but not reaching out for more intimate friendships as I did three years ago. I find that this time, I am far more focussed on my daughter, her needs and experiences, than I am on other children or parents.

I have a slightly uncomfortable feeling that perhaps my lack of openness to new friendships in this group is not right, but I am not sure.

Have you experienced times in your life when you are fully satisfied with your existing friendships and social networks? What do you think God requires of us in these circumstances?

2 comments:

Jo said...

I think God requires us to act and speak with love toward everyone in our lives, regardless of how deep or intimate our relationships with them are. However, I do agree with you that it can be difficult sometimes to know how much of yourself to invest in a particular group of friends. I think it would be unwise to invest so much of yourself that you neglect your family or existing relationships, but perhaps it is Godly to pay enough attention to "new" or "peripheral" friends that you would notice if they needed help or if you could serve them in some way.

Admin said...

Thanks for your wisdom Jo, I think you've put your finger on why I feel uncomfortable - I'm not paying enough attention to these new friends to notice it they are in need.