Monday, 17 October 2011

Why I Bother Learning Old-Fashioned Skills: Making Stock

Image Source
I had never considered making my own stock until this year, when I came across these posts:

At the time, I was in the middle of researching nutrition, specifically to support good gut bacteria and thereby boost the immune system. Making stock from scratch seemed like a fairly straight-forward and easy change that I could make to our family diet, so I experimented, and I was really pleased with the results.
I have found that I get the most use out of chicken stock, rather than vegetable or beef stock. Over the past few months, I have streamlined my method, which is as follows:

  • purchase chicken carcasses on my weekly grocery trip. Where we live, this is much more cost effective than purchasing a whole chicken and creating stock from the roast left-overs
  • fill a large stock pot with water, a good tablespoon of salt, and the chicken carcasses
  • bring to a gentle simmer for about 2 hours, lid on.
  • turn off and leave to cool. Refridgerate overnight. This seems to intensify the flavour.
  • use the stock in soups, curries, pasta sauces, crockpot meals, or anywhere you need a flavour boost. I do not remove the fat as I believe that it has many nutritional benefits (plus the stock tastes better if you keep the fat); but I am aware that mainstream nutritionists would disagree.
I love the flavour that homemade stock adds to food. I love the nutritional benefit my family receive from this wonderful food. I love knowing that our immune systems are strengthened by soups based on this stock. I love that it is very cheap and easy to make, requiring very little effort or preparation.
Have you tried making your own stock? Has it become an everyday part of your family diet?
Further reading:

No comments: