Saturday, 13 August 2011
Jane Austen: Persuasion
There are no Jane Austen novels that I dislike. But Persuasion is my absolute favourite. I think the reason is that the plot is soooo romantic... and now you know that this is not really a serious book review at all. :-)
I’m a sucker for love gone awry, then miraculously sorted out at the very last minute possible; and Anne and her Captain are such noble characters, and so well-matched that one can’t help hoping that they will get their happy ending. I also have a strong dislike for Anne’s sister and father, and it is very satisfying to see her finally gain her independence from them.
Do you have a favourite Austen novel?
Labels:
Books and Reading
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Test 1
Sadly, I haven't read it, but I've seen Pride and Prejudice (the movie) and I LOVE it! I am a sap for romances, too. I should read it. I love reading and used to do it all the time (before kids). Now all I seem to have time for (or make time for) is my Bible and an occasional book to go along with that.
Hi Liz,
There is a wonderful film version of Persuasion with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds (http://www.sonypictures.com/classics/persuasion/persuasion.html) - very faithful to the novel.
But do let me know what you think if you get a chance to read the book!
This is one of my favorite Jane Austen novels also!! And I second that the film version IS great.
This is my favorite Austen novel.
I also love Lord of the Rings. Love.
Oh, it's so good to know there are a bunch of ladies with *excellent* taste in books!!! :-)
And Val - LOTR is on my top 5 of all time. Have you tried The Silmarillion?
Post a Comment