Saturday, 24 September 2011

Lawrence J Cohen: Playful Parenting


After the first glance, I put this book back on the shelf. But some months later, I realised I needed some help in lightening the mood of the interactions in our home, and I picked it up again. And this time, I read it.

Cohen’s starting point is that children learn through play.  He then goes on to discuss how we adults can teach and influence our children more effectively if we play with them, than if we use traditional methods such as scolding, punishment, or time-outs.   He includes his experiences as a child psychologist, and interactions with his own daughter, to detail exactly how play can be fun and child-centered as well as useful in addressing common discipline issues (whining, tantrums, aggression, etc).

I found the book most helpful in illustrating how to play, as I am not a playful person by nature, and I had little experience with children before I had my own.  However, I have some reservations with the theory.  I do not believe that playfulness is the one solution to all discipline issues, and I do not believe that all discipline issues occur due to a lack of playful interaction in the home.

I recommend this book to anyone who doesn’t know how, or lacks the motivation, to play with their children, but not as the sole method of discipline.

2 comments:

LWatkins said...

Can you give a specific example from the book or your own experience about learning through play.

Admin said...

Great question, LWatkins!

I have observed my children learning in many different spheres through their play.

For example, my 2.5 year old son is learning about animals (hens and dogs) through his play with them. He learns what they eat, how they feel, how they like to be touched (or not), and how they react to humans.

My almost 5-year-old daughter is learning how to negotiate, and what happens to relationships when she shares (or not), through endless hours of play with her older brother.

My last example is more specific to this book. At the beginning of this year, I was very concerned that I had not observed my 6.5 year old son playing any 'let's pretend' games. As a direct outcome of reading this book, I deliberately introduced a 'let's pretend we are lions' game with my older 2 children, and we stomped and roared around the house together, having fun eating each other, running away, and hiding.

Literally since that day, his imagination in play has been released, both in solitary play and in sibling play, and I now have the joy of seeing all sorts of imaginary animals and characters at play in my home.

Do you have some examples of children learning through play that you can share?