Wednesday, 7 September 2011

Depression

Our culture has become much more open and knowledgeable about depression, but for me, being depressed meant being unable to ask for help; therefore, no-one knew I was suicidal. I survived only by the grace of God.

From the inside, depression turned my world gray. I had no hope for a better tomorrow. Life seemed pointless. Sadness and/or anxiety were daily companions.

From the inside, my depression felt like selfishness, self-pity, and self-condemnation (“why can’t I just snap out of this?!?”), all rolled into one choking cloud of smog which never cleared.

Now, from the outside, I know that depression is not normal, or part of me, and that my view of the world was distorted. Now, from the outside, I know that depression is temporary and curable.

Do you think you may be depressed? If any of the above thoughts and feelings frequently or mostly apply to you, then take courage and ask for help.  This condition is not your fault, it is not the real you, and you can indeed experience a life of joy and peace again.

Is there someone you know that may be depressed, but is unable to open up? What action could you take to help this person?

No comments: