The children started for a half day only, after visiting to play a few times while I met the caregiver and talked through our concerns. There were several:
- would my almost-3-year-old DS be able to nap in this environment?
- would DS adjust happily, given his personal dislike of change in general?
- would my almost-5-year-old DD be safe given her compulsion to mouth toys and other non-food objects?
The heaviest concern for me, however, was my emotional response when I thought of leaving my youngest child with someone else. I wept every time I left following these meetings. I knew in my heart the children would be safe, well-cared for, and that they enjoyed playing there and would continue to do so; but I was not ready to let go of my baby.
Have you had to leave your child in care before you were ready? How did you cope?
2 comments:
I can certainly empathise with your feelings Penny - I dread the day when I might leave my DS in the care of another (non family member). I think I will cry many tears, and it will be like a period of mourning - the fact that our dear LO's need us that little bit less.
Thanks Jo. It's been important to me to acknowledge my grief in this transition. I hope your experience of letting go will be easier than you anticipate.
Post a Comment