Sunday, 4 September 2011

What if it's true...? Part 9: One Flesh

I have a confession to make: I am not a good wife.  I started out ten years ago with the best of intentions, but also with the hidden, prideful idea that since I was already nearly perfect, it was my husband who would have to do most of the growing and changing in our relationship.

Ugly, hey? And though I would have denied it if you had read my mind and confronted me, that was honestly how I felt.

Then the honeymoon was over, the years came and went, and the children came, and the financial pressures, and everything else life throws at you... and I began to realise that I’m not perfect. Not even close.

And because I have spent years in silent bitterness at my husband’s unwillingness to change the way I thought he should, I am nowhere close to being the intimate partner, friend, encourager, and team player that I long to be.

One flesh.

I am starting to get a picture of a united, husband-and-wife team, where I serve him not because he deserves it (because I don't and he doesn't either), but because this is what team members do to build the team. A picture of unity between two very different individuals, who both have flaws and weaknesses, but who are facing the same direction and walking the journey of life together, helping each other as best they can. A picture of God’s purpose for me in this marriage - how could I have gotten it wrong for so long?!? - which is not for my benefit, but where I willingly, daily, devote my energy to being useful in serving the other members of the family.

God, please help me start again today. Please show me how to encourage my husband and serve him for our mutual benefit. Please keep this one flesh vision fresh in mind to inspire me.

Galatians 5:13-15
For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

Romans 12:1-5
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith. For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

So well put. Thanks for the reminder. :)