Friday, 27 May 2011

Memorable baby stages

I remember that months four to six were just awful with each of my three babies.   They regressed in their ability to go to sleep and stay asleep during the day; over-tiredness and “witching hour” made life miserable from about 5pm until bedtime; introduction of solids (for the younger two) made feed times seem endless; and we seemed to live with lots and lots of inconsolable crying.

After six months, life with each of my babies dramatically improved, and was never really as awful again. 

In the first 12 months of your baby’s life, what do you remember most clearly?

6 comments:

Kristy Powers said...

Right now, it's the nursing I remember. The way the babies learn to do it, the way mommy learns to do it...the almost magical way that it works once both have learned...all of the times it's done in the middle of the night...

I have to admit I was glad to be done nursing when I weaned my second child, and now it seems like it is one of the things I will miss the most.

Admin said...

Oh yes! How could I forget?!? Nursing is such a huge part of that first year, and what a big learning curve for both mom and bubs. And what pain it can cause (physical and emotional) when it's not going well.

I was glad to wean all of mine :-) even though I had mostly great nursing relationship with 2 out of the 3.

Thanks for commenting and bringing back those memories.

Ashlee said...

well, I'm in this awful stage right now. Now that I know it passes I'm better able to endure it, but I'm sure looking forward to getting more sleep here soon!

With #3 this time was complicated with nursing problems due to nipple confusion after getting a bottle for 5 days. I think I was blaming a lot of what I now know to be Sleep Regression and Wonder Week behavior on nursing problems. Ya ... we had them, but I think I prolonged the agony in my ignorance. The good news is that I found a great online group, made some wonderful friends, learned a TON and bonded in a very unique way with him while I got it all straightened out :)

Admin said...

Hang in there Ashlee! You're doing great and you will get to the end of the tunnel before you know it.

Alex said...

My first is turning 1 year old this week on Friday! Nursing is a standout memory for sure. Also, 3 months old was a sweet spot for us. We had recently found and implemented Babywise principles, my son was sleeping and eating well and smiling, but still young enough to seem like a new baby. I feel like everything before that was a blur and everything since 3 months has been constant change and growth (not always bad, just busy and dynamic - although 4 month old sleep regression was a big mess at our house too!). Anyway, I'm grateful for that memory and grateful you asked - I should go copy this down into his memory book now :)

Admin said...

Hi Alex, and happy birthday to your little boy!!! May the second year hold many more lovely memories.