Sunday, 22 May 2011

Dorothy Dunnett's "Lymond" series

This series blew my mind when I first read it nearly 20 years ago. I borrowed the first volume from a friend, then promptly ordered the entire series from my local bookstore, then begged each volume from my friend until my copies arrived.  I think I went through the five-volume series within about 3 weeks (and yes, my university studies did suffer, as did my sleep!!!!). Since then, I have re-read it on average once a year.

I cannot praise these books highly enough. The character of Francis Lymond is romantic, compelling, and deeply flawed yet astonishingly noble.  The themes of trust broken and restored, and love which refuses to give up, run throughout the whole series.  The series is set in mid-16th century Europe, and the action moves from Scotland (Lymond’s homeland) to France, Malta, Ottoman Turkey, Russia and the North Sea, finally coming full circle back to France and Scotland.   

If you are looking for a compelling hero, intricate plot development, complex relationships, and accurate, detailed history, I thoroughly recommend this series.

Let me know what you think!
  


  

7 comments:

Alex said...

I felt the same way about Lymond and now am slooowly going through the Niccolo series, making them last. But no matter how much I loved them, I'm always afraid to recommend them.

Admin said...

Oh yay, how fun to meet another Dunnett fan!!! But why would you feel afraid to recommend the books?!?

Kristy Powers said...

Woohoo! The first in the Lymond series is available in my library, so I will be following up on your recommendation!

Admin said...

Oh great! Let us know what you think... be warned, though: after I was hooked, I didn't sleep very well until I had finished the whole series :-)

Kristy Powers said...

Whoa! I've finished The Game of Kings. It was slower going at first, and dense reading, but the pacing masterfully sped up to the climax of the story. Yes, my sleep and chores suffered. Wow. An amazing writer, and all the characters are nearly real.

Admin said...

I thought you'd been a bit quiet recently ;-) Just wait until you get to the Pawn in Francincense - IMHO the best of the series. Glad you liked the first one!

Admin said...

Or wait... I think the Checkmate is the best after all... how to choose?!?