In my earliest years as a parent, I got angry at my children. A lot. I didn’t want to be an angry mother, flipping out every time my child ignored my directions, but somehow it just happened.
This book poses the idea that anger in parenting is natural, and in fact useful to identify issues in our children that need to be worked on; but that anger is NOT useful in problem solving. Framing anger this way was extremely helpful to me. The book then goes on to discuss seven major character issues in children that trigger anger in parents, and some very helpful tools to tackle these issues. To give you taste, some of the chapter headings are:
“They Don’t Do What I Say” Instruction: Giving the Gift of Responsibility
“They Keep Doing the Wrong Thing” Correction: Giving the Gift of Wisdom
“They Won’t Accept No for an Answer” Accepting Limits: Giving the Gift of Contentment
“They Always Grumble and Complain” Attitude: Giving the Gift of Perspective
“They’re So Annoying” Restraint: Giving the Gift of Self-Control
“They Lie” Honesty: Giving the Gift of Integrity
“I’m Still Angry” Forgiveness: Living the Gift of Peace
I recommend this book for any parent with children who are three or older, and especially for those who find they are getting angry with their kids.
Have you read it? What did you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment