I first read it after I finished The Lord of the Rings, and suddenly so many things made sense: why Aragorn was the true king of Gondor, why Gondor was considered the principal city/realm in opposition to Sauron, who and what Sauron was, why the Elves were older and wiser than Men, and why and whence they were departing…. I could go on, but you get the idea.
I fell in love with this book, and I agree with many other reviewers who describe it as the Bible of Tolkien’s universe. If you liked The Lord of the Rings, you must read this. If you have no idea what I am talking about, but you enjoy rich, believable fantasy, then try it and tell me what you think.
Enjoy!
3 comments:
I owned The Silmarillion for several years before I decided to read it. It is the complete mythology behind the LOTR and it was daunting, to me, at first. I liked it so much better after reading a biography or two about Tolkien and realizing how much it meant to him. Actually, I think it was The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien that got me to read The Silmarillion again. The Letters was fascinating!
I haven't read the Letters, Kristy, thanks for the recommendation. I know a little about Tolkien's life, but mainly because notes that of C.S. Lewis and Christopher Tolkien made in verious works.
Yes, that's where I had a lot of my Tolkien information from, too. I was curious to see how his life and opinions and religion differed from C.S. Lewis - I knew so much more about Lewis previously.
Post a Comment