Monday, 5 December 2011

O Come, O Come Immanuel


Only in the past two years have I really been aware of the season of Advent.  As a child, December was all about finishing the school year (exams, reports, end-of-year excursions), putting up the Christmas tree and Nativity set, sweating in the first few really hot days of summer, and reading lots and lots of books that I had been unable to start during term.

Last year, I happened to be reading some random christian mom blogs (including Ann Voskamp's - if I could remember the others, I would link them for sure!), and it suddenly hit me:  December is about preparing the heart for Jesus to come inWe attempted to implement some Advent traditions, including candles at dinner, and specific Advent family devotionals. 

This year, our family routine looks different, and I have not yet made time to plan Advent traditions, apart from baking treats for teachers, neighbours, and friends.  But there is definitely a thirst within my spirit, and a sense of expectant waiting, as I walk the journey toward Christmas.   I long to be able to share this anticipation with my children, in a way that does not demand too much time or preparation.

I would love to hear what your family traditions are at this time of year.  What traditions have you kept from your family of origin? What new-to-you traditions have you tried, and would you do them again?


1 comment:

Kristy said...

My grandma always does such amazing advent calendar ideas. This year she sent a quilted advent banner/calendar with a tiny ornament in each day's pocket, plus a couple of candies. The kids get to take turns opening or taking out the advent calendar treat. I have started a tradition at the breakfast table of reading Christmas literature to my oldest son (or whoever is awake at that time for breakfast). I like to turn on our Christmas tree lights for this. What I have always loved from my family of origin, but don't do (yet) with my family is the traditional advent wreath. It meant a lot to me as a child. It didn't stand for anything other than the coming of the Christ child. We lit our advent candles at family dinner. Our family also lit lots of candles on Christmas Eve and read the Christmas story from the Bible. We got one present to open early, too. But mainly it separated the spiritual from the material. Great memories.