![]() |
| Image source |
Tonight, self-control was our bible teaching topic. Somehow, when teaching scripture, the Holy Spirit graces me with the ability to simplify and give examples appropriate to the ages of my children (7.5 years, 5 years, and almost 3 years). I know this is the Holy Spirit's work, because in general I am a really poor teacher, and I have no theology training!!!!
The definition that dropped into my head to teach the children tonight was this:
self-control is choosing words that are Jesus words,
and choosing actions that are Jesus actions.
The five year old needed me to define what actions were, so I simplified further:
Jesus actions are using our hands to hug or help.
Once she heard that, she was able to tell me that using hands to hit or grab were 'bad actions' - so I'm sure she understood.
The seven year old was able to give me a hypothetical example of how he could use self-control to restrain from hitting if he was hurt by his sister.
The three year old shouted 'reach for the skies' and wanted to kiss me. So I'm not quite sure he understood the main point... ;-)
What do you think? How do you define self-control to your kids? What method do you use to teach biblical concepts?

No comments:
Post a Comment